Founded in the 16th century by the Spanish occupants, St. Joseph was the first capital of Trinidad. It lies northeast of Champs Fleurs and can be accessed from the Eastern Main Road by driving north on the Maracas Royal Road. Mount St. Benedict is one of the communities of St. Joseph, and both the Mount St. Benedict Cathedral and Monastery were built by the monks of the Order of St. Benedict who came to Trinidad from Bahia, Brazil, in 1912. The monks were originally from Belgium, Germany, and Holland.
Steelbands: The following is a listing of the steelbands that functioned in St. Joseph, broken down by type: traditional (pans supported around the neck); and conventional (pans supported mechanically).
|STEELBAND||TYPE||LOCATION IN 2002||HISTORY|
|Culture Circle||Conventional||Pole 58B and Market Street|
|Thunderbirds||Conventional||Guarata Village, Maracas|
|Voices||Traditional||166 Royal Road, Maracas|
Cricket: Jack Noriega and Benjamin Sealey were born in St. Joseph and went on to represent the West Indies in Test Cricket.
|The Holy Ghost Tabernacle & Nursery School||Pre-School||Corner Market and Nelson Streets|
|St. Bede's Vocational School||Secondary||Mount St. Benedict||Roman Catholic|
|St. Joseph's College||Secondary||Roman Catholic|
|St. Joseph's Convent||Secondary||Richmond Street||Roman Catholic||Founded in 1870|
|St. Joseph's Boys' RC School||Primary||Abercromby Street||Roman Catholic||646 pupils in 2002|
|St. Joseph's Girls' RC School||Primary||Richmond Street||Roman Catholic||723 pupils in 2002|
|St. Joseph's Government School|
|St. Xavier's Preparatory School||Primary||Richmond Street||Roman Catholic||442 pupils in 2002|
Copyright © 2000-2005 All rights reserved.